Glen Innes in the New England reasion has a breathtaking array of attractions, experiences, festivals, events and endowment of natural wonders – from World Heritage national parks to some of the world’s richest gem and mineral fields. We are justly proud of what we have to offer in our part of Big Sky Country and warmly invite you to share it with us.
Make the most of your visit to Glen Innes by staying over to enjoy our magnificent attractions and experiences:
- Pick up a Guide to the Australian Standing Stones from the Visitor information Centre or Crofter’s Cottage – for Celtic foods and refreshments, to get the most out of your visit to the Standing Stones, official national monument to Australia’s Celtic pioneers.
- Be guided by the Visitor Centre to the world heritage national parks of Gibraltar Range and Washpool and a diverse network of other parks and nature reserves.
- Stroll through Glen lnnes CBD with its charming colonial streetscape, hanging basket-adorned shopfronts and more than 30 heritage listed buildings.
- Take the Heritage Buildings walk or one of the fascinating tourist drives.
- Be fascinated at Land of the Beardies History House, one of the nation’s finest folk museums, with 25 rooms showcasing the district’s history and invaluable archives with more than 100,000 family names and business.
- Don’t miss the picturesque rural villages of Deepwater, Torrington and Emmaville. Visit the Emmaville Mining Museum (open Friday to Tuesday, gold coin donation) where exhibits capture the past of this once bustling tin mining area.
- Fossick in some of the world’s richest gem fields for Sapphires, Emeralds, Topaz, and other gems and minerals.
- You can also fish for Murray cod as we are rated one of Australia’s best areas for trout and other species.
- Take a Pub Crawl on horseback, bushwalk or bird-watch or simply enjoy the immaculately maintained town parks.
- Sample award-winning local wines, Wright Robertson and Wellington Vale, through retail and restaurant outlets and visit the Wright Robertson cellar door at Glencoe.
- Play or watch the almost limitless range of sports in excellent facilities from golf, lawn bowls to skating, swimming and indoor sports.
- Taste some exceptional hand crafted New England wine at Wright Robertson Winery, one of the highest vineyards in Australia
Whilst in Glen Innes visit:
- Visiting National Parks
- Glen Innes District Services Club
- Glen Innes Tourist Information
- Heritage listed Showgrounds
Glen Innes Shopping
New England Festivals, Shows and Events
- The Minerama Fossicking, Gem & Jewellery Show – Gem festival in Celtic Country
- Land of the Beardies Festival – Family friendly event featuring a mix of country, western, country rock, gospel and songs of yesteryear.
- New England Regional Wine Show – A great opportunity to see the high standard of the local wines of the New England region.